Crimson Ink and Caviar Dreams

Professional editor and voracious reader.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

'Tall' books

I recently had an opportunity to check out these taller mass market books. Since I have a rather strict book budget, I was skeptical of these books and the increased prices.

Many eloquent people have jumped in on the debate, so I'm not going to discuss price points, or the way the darn things will look on bookshelves. Reading comfort is what concerns me.

Like many people working with computers all day, my hands ache on occasion. When I held one of these books and read it for awhile, it was very comfortable, much more comfortable than a mass market paperback. My hands didn't ache as much as they do when reading a mass market or even a trade paperback.

I'm not sure I will be won over to the tall paperbacks format, but this is a start.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Shannon said…

    That's interesting. Maybe it's the tilted way I hold them combined with more top-heaviness, but they make my thumb cramp.

    I think it's a gimmick. I haven't personally seen a difference in the font or in my reading comfort, but I see the difference in my wallet. And, as a reader, I don't like gimmicks.

    (Says the woman who just shelled out 5 bucks for a box of cereal for her kid because they have double the lucky stars.)

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said…

    I can definitely see a difference in font and line space. I thought I read somewhere that the Next books were supposed to also have slightly larger fonts and line spaces but I don't see it. hmmmmmmm

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger 122272 said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Sela Carsen said…

    Nora's Northern Lights is now out in this format. I'd been eagerly awaiting its paperback release, but there's no way I'm shelling out $10 for it -- I could have bought it for nearly that much in hardback! I'll wait for it in the UBS.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home