Crimson Ink and Caviar Dreams

Professional editor and voracious reader.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

The appeal of "real women"

You may have seen the Dove or Nike ads. These ads feature so called 'real women', people who are not model thin or devoid of blemishes. Advertising seems to be celebrating women of all shapes and sizes in recent years and this has crossed over to fiction.

Books with physically challenged heroines are now mainstream, romances featuring women with life experience sit beside coming-of-age chick lit book and big CAN be beautiful in the romance realm.

For so long, heroines were the model of physical perfection, cute, dainty, gorgeous. I wanted to hate them but there were so few reading options out there so I gritted my teeth and read about these perfect examples of womanhood wondering all the while where the average looking heroines lurked. They certainly weren't found often on bookshelves in past years!

Thankfully, the publishing realm has widened to include romances that typify the struggles of 'real women'. I couldn't be happier with all these exciting reading options.

Do you like the idealized perfection of a heroine or do you find yourself drawn to the non-traditional heroines?

And finally, do you have any book recommendations for me?

4 Comments:

  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Amie Stuart said…

    I remember reading an article in my local paper about those Dove ads and all I can say is, I think their time has come. Same with real heroines =)

    Book recommendations? I havn't finished a book in so long (usually my fault not the books). Ummmm I'm about 1/2 way through Joshalyn Jackson's Gods in Alambama--it's pretty good! Anything by Marsha Moyer or Mary Kay Andrews, otherwise...um...no. I don't.

    *shuffles off with promises to at least read one whole book this month*

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Michelle said…

    I love books with heroines who have been down and out, who have faced the worst and are survivors. It doesn't matter what shape or size they are.

    I do like reading books with older heroines, even though I'm just starting the 30's decade myself. It's nice to have that variety out there.

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Jaci Burton said…

    I love having variety in my reading that encompasses the type of women we encounter in the 'real world'. all shapes, all sizes, all races and abilities. I love the fact that so much is being published right now and we're starting to break through the cookie cutter version of Barbie and all her perfections.

    Read Karen Marie Moning ;-)

     
  • At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello! I tried to find your contact information! I am a columnist with indiereader.com where I just started writing about indie erotica. I am writing an article for the next two weeks about writing female characters in erotic fiction and would love to discuss with you. Let me know!

    You can read the first article at www.indiereader.com

    Look forward to hearing from you. LK
    loren@lkeditorial.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home